Pot roast is a special style of cooking adopted to cook tougher cuts of meat such as chuck steak, ribs, brisket, etc. Although one can cook any type of hard meat in a pot roast, a beef pot roast is the most popular among the meat-consuming people. In this type of cooking, the protein or meat being cooked is first roasted and then cooked in a covered pot containing vegetables and spices in boiling water.
It is a method of slow cooking that is well-known for preparing rich and flavourful food. Although, the time consumed in preparing pot roast recipes is high the food prepared is absolutely sublime.
Pot Roast Recipe – Chuck Roast With Balsamic And Dijon
A chuck roast is prepared by first roasting a piece of braised beef and then slow cooking it in a covered pot or vessel usually made of mud. Pot roast delivers sublime meat and rich, flavourful liquid that tends as gravy. The combination of the softly cooked protein complemented by the succulent gravy makes up for a mouth-watering delicacy.
- Vegetable oil – two tablespoons
- Chuck roast – two kilograms
- A finely chopped large yellow onion – 1
- Balsamic vinegar – half cup
- Dijon mustard – tablespoons
- Fresh thyme – five sprigs
- Beef broth – 3 cups
- Two bunches of young carrots with a little bit of the top remaining
- White baby potatoes – five hundred grams
- Salt, as per taste
- Powdered black pepper, according to taste
Preparation For The Pot Roast Recipe:
To make the pot roast recipe chuck roast with balsamic and Dijon mustard:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large Dutch pot, heat oil over a high flame.
3. Take a generous piece of chuck roast and season it on all sides with salt and pepper as per taste.
4. In a pan containing one tablespoon of vegetable oil, sear the chuck roast on all sides till some browning appears on the protein. Having cooked the meat for 3-4 minutes, flip it and cook for another 3-4 minutes. You can also roast the beef in an oven.
Preparation After The Protein Is Cooked
5. Once the protein is cooked, remove it from the pan. In a pot containing hot vegetable oil, add finely chopped onions.
6. Sauté the onions on medium heat for five to ten minutes. Add balsamic vinegar to it and cook till the mixture turns syrupy in nature.
7. Add in the Dijon mustard to the balsamic reduction. Stir the mixture for some time.
8. Now carefully handling the roast place it on top of the onions in the pot.
9. Add the beef stock to the pot. Stir for some time and add five thyme sprigs to the pot.
10. Cover the pot with a lid and place it in an oven for 3 hours or till the protein becomes tender.
11. Add the bunch of carrots and potatoes to the pot and return to the oven.
12. Having added the vegetables, cook for another forty minutes or till the vegetables have cooked completely and become tender.
13. Now season the protein with salt and powdered pepper as per taste. Take the pot out of the oven and serve the protein hot with its gravy.
A pot roast is a gravy cooked beef recipe cooked in a covered vessel. The above recipe can also be made by completely cooking it in a pot. Instead of putting the protein in an oven and cooking it for long durations, one can also put the earthen pot over the flame and soften the protein by cooking for long durations. The end product of pot roast is perfectly cooked beef chuck served in flavourful gravy.