Slow cooker recipes are the ones prepared by cooking meat or protein over low temperatures for a considerably long period of time. This style of cooking beautifully brings out the rich flavor of spices and sublime taste of the protein. Here are two amazing slow cooker recipes that you can prepare at home.
Slow Cooker Ratatouille
Ratatouille is a healthy dish prepared by arranging layers of sliced vegetables in a dish complemented by rich sauces. The method of slow cooking allows the flavor of veggies to intertwine and lets the vegetables to be cooked perfectly.
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Ratatouille:
- Large-sized potatoes -2
- Medium-sized sweet potato – 1
- Red bell peppers -2
- Red onion- 2
- Large green zucchini -1
- Big yellow zucchini -1
- Large yellow squash -1
- Marinara sauce or tomato sauce – 3 cups
- Finely chopped garlic – 5 cloves
- Grated parmesan cheese – ½ cup
- Basil leaves (chopped in strips) – 1/2 cup
- Salt, according to taste
- Pepper, according to taste
1. Slice the potatoes, sweet potato, red bell peppers, and red onions into thin rounds of 1/8th inch in width. Slice the zucchinis and squash in slightly thicker rounds of about 1/2 an inch width.
2. Layer one cup of tomato sauce on the base of the slow cooker.
3. Now arrange the vegetable slices in an upright position on the sauce and place them in an overlapping fashion placing a slice of potato first then red bell pepper, followed by red onions followed by sweet potato followed by green zucchini and so on till all the vegetable slices are used.
4. Make one layer of vegetables and then season them with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some of the chopped garlic on each layer. Make a layer of tomato sauce on top of the vegetable layer and continue making another layer of spiral and overlapping pieces of vegetables.
5. On the topmost layer of vegetables, add the rest of the tomato sauce, add salt and pepper and some parmesan cheese.
6. Set the slow cooker on slow for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
7. Finish the dish with some more grated parmesan cheese and garnish with chopped basil leaves. Your slow cooker Ratatouille is ready.
Slow Cooker Recipe Minestrone Soup
Soups are the most commonly prepared slow cooker recipes. Minestrone soup is a healthy veggie soup complemented by pasta or rice.
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Recipe Minestrone Soup:
- Diced tomatoes – 2 cups
- Tomato paste – 2 tablespoons
- Parmesan rind (chopped into cubes) – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable stock – 6 cups
- Diced carrots – 1 cup
- Diced celery – 1/4 cups celery
- Finely chopped onions – ½ cups
- Finely chopped garlic – 5 cloves
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh rosemary – 1 sprig
- Bay leaves – 2
- Red kidney beans, boiled – 1 cup
- Cannelini beans, boiled – 1 cup
- Zucchini diced – 2 cups
- Tubular (ditalini) pasta, cooked till al dente – 2 cups
- Green beans – 1 cup
- Spinach leaves, chopped – two and a half cups
- Parmesan cheese – 1/2 cup
1. In boiling water add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parmesan rind, vegetable stock, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, oregano, rosemary and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
2. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the ingredients on low flame for 6-8 hours or at high for 3-4 hours.
3. Add in the kidney beans and cannellini beans and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the pasta, green beans, and the spinach leaves and cook for 5 minutes until everything is heated and well incorporated.
5. Serve the soup warm and garnish with grated parmesan cheese and toasts.
Slow cooker recipes have revolutionized the ways of cooking. Old traditional recipes which earlier took hours to prepare are now being prepared in a new style with a new touch. The above two recipes are traditional dishes prepared with a new touch in slow cookers which can conveniently be prepared at home.